First Aid Basics For Pet Owners

Sometimes, accidents simply cannot be avoided. And this also runs true for pets. Most of the time, the popularly owned household pets, dogs and cats, will get hurt or ill because of an accident. Since there is already no time to waste when your pet figures in an accident, it would definitely be helpful that you know the basics of giving first aid and how to immediately help your furry friend.

One of the most common accidents involving pets is getting hit or ran over by a car. This serious kind of accident requires the owners to bring their pets immediately to their vet or an animal clinic. However, while on the way to the vet or clinic, owners can do the following to help the pet feel less pain and not to further aggravate any sustained injuries:

  • If the pet is not acting out aggressively, you can help stabilize any broken bone by covering it with a bandage or by using a splinter. In case the pet has an open wound, cover it with gauze or any clean and sanitized piece of cloth so that further infections can be avoided.
  • When taking your injured pet to the vet or hospital, put the dog or cat in a carrier or open box. Carrying your hurt pet might just make his or her condition worse.
  • It is also important to keep in mind that even if the pet is seriously hurt, it can still bite or try to hurt you, even if you are only trying to help. As such, keep your face and hands away from its mouth, as a good safety precaution.

Another common mishap pet-owners may encounter with their furry friends is their pets accidentally swallowing poisonous products. Unfortunately, any home has an endless supply of poisonous and toxic products: cleaning products such as detergents, dishwashing soap and bleach. Also, certain sanitizing staples at home such as alcohol are also common toxic items for pets.

The usual symptoms that your pet has ingested some poisonous products are:

  • Loss of consciousness
  • Seizures
  • Breathing difficulties

Of course, if your pet has been poisoned, you need to rush immediately to an emergency vet. Before going out or on your way to the vet, you can give your pet milk of magnesia or activated charcoal, if you have them. These items can absorb the poison your pet accidentally ingested. Also, make sure that you take a sample of the poisonous product accidentally swallowed so that the vet can treat your pet better and more effectively.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *