Those who have pets are surely to ask, how to clean vomit from carpet. Pet dogs or cats are surely to vomit at least once if not more. Then the answer is a sickening cleaning task. But here we’ll list down an easy solution to restore the condition of your carpet.
- Most importantly, immediately treat the area after the pet vomits, to avoid the vomit to soak further into the carpet padding. Also pet food often contains food colors which may lead to stains if the vomit is left to dry. Staining also depends upon your carpet type. Factory dyed carpets (less expensive carpets) are more susceptible to staining from the corrosive discharge as compared to other stain resistant carpets which have color impregnated into its fibers.
- Remove vomit from the carpet as much as possible using some old rug / paper towel or any other scrapper. Try not to squeeze it down into the carpet. If the vomit is dry it can be removed by wetting the carpet first and then using any old cloth to scrape it off.
- Dab the wet area with more paper towels to absorb as much moisture as possible.
- Next apply some baking soda on the spot to absorb the moisture and to kill odor. Then simply vacuum the baking soda.
- Either make a cleaning solution by mixing mild detergent in warm water or get your hands on any carpet cleaner, such as Spot Shot and gently scrub the area by dipping a clean sponge in the cleaning solution or simply dab the area.
- Gently rub the area and work to remove the stain. Once the stain is gone, rinse the sponge and blot the area to remove the cleaning solution from the carpet. Again rinse the sponge and blot the area until all cleaning solution has been removed from the carpet. Repeat the step as required.
- Now blot the area using clean paper towel to absorb as much water as possible from the carpet. You can also put a stack of paper towels with a weight on top. Continuing removing the paper towels one at a time until it starts to come out dry.
- Turn on the fans to dry the area completely.
- Finally vacuum to restore the carpet’s texture.
- Most importantly, do check your pet for any signs of illness that require medical attention and if it was a regular pet vomit then you know how to clean vomit from carpet!
So, no matter how messy your pet’s vomit is, scrape, baking soda/corn flour, cleaning agent and rinse are the little keys to how to clean vomit from carpet and to return the carpet to its original condition after your pet vomits.