Spring and summer are quickly approaching, which means it’s almost time for warm weather and outdoor festivities. Summer days are made even better when they’re shared with pets. By following a few summer pet care safety tips, you can keep your animals healthy and enjoy the fun-filled summer months!
1) Never leave your pet in the car. No matter how long you’re going to be gone or how cool you think it is outside, the temperature inside the car can raise to 120 degrees F in a matter of minutes. This can be extremely dangerous for animals, so play it safe and leave them at home when you run errands!
2) Keep your pet leashed. Letting your dog run free could create problems. He/she could end up getting lost, in a fight with another animal or ingesting something dangerous.
3) Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. This could be the number one summer pet care safety tip and goes for humans as well-whether you’re indoors or outdoors, both you and your pet must consume plenty of water during the summer. If you leave the house, be sure to bring water bottles along with you and your pet.
4) Don’t forget to groom. Protect your dog from the sun by keeping him well groomed. This will help him to be more comfortable and insulated from the heat. Dogs with thick hair should have it trimmed regularly during the summer.
5) Never leave them unattended. Some animals are left outside for the majority of the summer. However, when it gets very hot, it’s not safe to keep them outdoors for a long period of time. You may want to keep your pets inside during the hottest part of the year to prevent illness and dehydration.
6) Be aware of heatstroke. Heatstroke is a dangerous condition and requires veterinary attention immediately. Signs of heatstroke include:
c. Anxious expression
d. Refusal to obey commands
e. Warm, dry skin
f. High fever
g. Rapid heartbeat
If you notice any of these symptoms, contact a veterinarian as soon as possible. In the meantime, attempt to lower the animal’s body temperature by applying towels soaked in cool water to the hairless areas of the body. Heatstroke can be fatal, so take every step you can to prevent it from happening. You can also use a product like IntelliLyte Electrolytes for Dogs, just think Gatorade for dogs.
Following all of these summer pet care safety tips should keep you on the right track for keeping your pets safe during the summer. Remember that if your pet is very young, elderly, or ill he may have a harder time regulating his body temperature. You will want to keep a special eye on him/her if that is the case to prevent problems.