Why not choose a baby chinchilla for your next pet? They are very cute animals. They can give you a lot of entertainment and love. They are a very active pet with loads of energy and love to play. Chinchillas remind me of marsupials, but are in the rodent family and look like large fluffy mice. Don’t worry though, they aren’t rats or anything like that.
Baby chinchillas are fragile animals, and you need to be very careful in your steps. If you don’t know what you are doing the poor animals can and will suffer. Don’t get me wrong though, chinchilla care is not that hard, but you need to know what you are doing. I will give you some pointers on which you should know how to take care of baby chinchillas.
* First, you need a good cage or pen for them. There isn’t a particular size for their cage, but the bigger it is the better it is for your pet. Usually you want them either wide as possible, or tall with several slopes. This is so that the baby chinchilla can run and play around. They can be made of wire, but it shouldn’t have a wire bottom.
You need non-treated wood chips on the bottom for your baby to chew. Chinchillas teeth are always growing, so they need these wood chips and chew toys to keep them short. Make sure it isn’t cedar wood as this is harmful for them. A pine wood is good for cages. The bedding must be cleaned once a week.
* The cage needs the ramps and other climbing toys because baby chinchillas love to climb on them. The ramps need to be good material, but also need to be safe.
* You should have their cage away from windows and in an area that is quite during the day. Temperatures need to be low around 55-70 degrees. Remember they are much more active at night. So, give your chinchilla care during the day when it’s sleeping.
* They need to have dens as well. This is where they will do be doing most of their sleeping. Make sure you have a good way to give them water without them ever getting wet. Provide fresh water each day. Untreated chewable woods is safe and can be given to the baby chinchilla.
* Lastly, they need a container with chinchilla dust in it. This is so they can go in it to take their baths. They can’t take baths in water because their fur is so thick it can’t dry. Pet stores have many chinchilla baths and dust, so you don’t have to worry about where to find them.
Chinchillas eat hay and hey pellets. You can find all these things in pet stores as well. Your baby chinchilla will eat about two times a day. As they get older, they will need more, so you must watch the changes in their diets.